Just as you maintain your car by taking it in to see a mechanic or have your HVAC system inspected annually, you will want to service your private water well to ensure optimal function and to check for signs of contamination. With this in mind, here are five tips to help you maintain your well to avoid costly well pump service in Missoula, MT:
- Hire licensed professionals: You should be in contact with a well and pump professional from the start, which means that, whether you’re dealing with a completely new addition to your property or a replacement well, you should only let someone skilled in constructing and installing water wells do the job. Performing your own basic inspections is a good preventative measure, but now and then, get a well maintenance inspection performed by a licensed or certified water well specialist—especially if you notice signs of contaminated water.
- Perform an annual well maintenance check: Even if you or others don’t detect strange tastes or odors in your drinking water, it would behoove you to perform a thorough water well maintenance check every year, not only for health reasons, but also to locate sources of underground pipe leaks or chemicals leaching from surrounding soil. Test for bacteria or call in an expert to run a more thorough test for all possible contaminants.
- Watch out for cross-contamination: You are likely to find private wells installed on large pieces of land; the same well provides water for use inside the home as well as outside on landscaping. Therefore, it is imperative that you be mindful when mixing potentially hazardous solutions for use on plants and crops to avoid cross-contamination. Instead of placing the water hose in the bucket where it will physically touch the solution, hold it over the container to keep everything but water from re-entering the well water supply.
- Keep hazardous chemicals away: Homeowners on residential properties that are on a well need to heed all probable dangers they might expose themselves to, like cross-contaminating fertilizers and pesticides with the watering hose. Another thing you’ll want to do is make sure to keep all hazardous chemicals away from the immediate area of your well. Not only can chemicals—including pesticides, fertilizers, paint, motor oil and household cleaners—get into your well water supply by way of unseen cracked piping, but they can also enter through soil around the well and seep into the groundwater.
- Mow and work with caution: Riding lawn mowers are helpful when you have a huge area to mow on a regular basis. But run over and damage the water well casing and you’re in for a world of hurt. Also be cautious when using other machinery or tools near the well. So even though the casing sticks up at least a foot out of the ground, mark its location with something brightly colored, such as a little orange flag or a red caution sign.
Whether you need well pump service in Missoula, MT or your well needs replacement parts, contact the team at Camp Well Drilling And Pump Service today.